Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Nov 96 05:12:37

>If there's a cvr transcript out yet, I haven't seen it.

It's on the web (isn't everything?) -- the transcript and all sorts of
other info on the Birgenair 757 crash can be found at
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/techfak/persons/ladkin/FBW.html#B757-BirgenAir

>But I know of at least one B727 that lost all of its airspeed indicators
>upon rotation ...  The crew just flew attitude and throttle
>position all the way to destination.  That's a little more difficult with
>the computerized airplanes, because the pilots no longer have a good feel
>for what the throttle position or fuel flow should be, but I imagine it
>could be done.

I once sat next to a United 767 co-pilot who had worked on United's
training program for A320 pilots.  He referred to the A320 as a
"career killer" because its pilots are so detached from fundamental
flying skills, those skills atrophy.  The 727 is still a pretty basic
machine, so it's not surprising that the loss of some key instruments
wasn't fatal in the case you describe.  All three of the 757 crashes
(assuming the taped-up static ports report is true for AeroPeru 603)
display varying degrees of lapse of basic flying skills, and the 757
keeps the pilots a lot closer to flying than an A320.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com