Re: Peruvian 757 crash

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Nov 96 05:12:37

>>This sounds like it COULD be the ultimate glass-cockpit horror story:
>>they suffered an electrical or electronic failure that was so complete
>>that it left the plane uncontrollable.

>Under the FARs the above should not be possible.

Huh?  At best, assuming the design meets the FARs as certified, the
above should be exceedingly unlikely.  That's not the same as "not
possible."

>Also, I thought the visibility was day/vfr although not without
>haze/some clouds.

AeroPeru flight 603 departed Lima at 12:42 am (just after midnight)
and crashed at approximately 1:10 am.  Lima had light winds of 4 kts.
from WSW; visibility was 3.75 miles with an 800 ft. overcast ceiling.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com