Peruvian 757 crash

From:         Jonathan Griffitts <jcg@qadas.com>
Date:         05 Nov 96 04:14:01
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

I've been lurking, waiting to see any more information on the Peruvian
757 crash a couple of weeks ago.  All I've seen so far is very sketchy
and self-contradictory information from the newspaper.

>From what I can tell, it would appear that the 757 suffered some kind of
major failure in the electronics.  The pilot was quoted as saying that
"the computers are going crazy" and that he did not know where he was.
He pleaded for a guide plane to help him navigate back to the airport.
Then somehow the plane went into the water.

This sounds like it COULD be the ultimate glass-cockpit horror story:
they suffered an electrical or electronic failure that was so complete
that it left the plane uncontrollable.  Is this is the event that the
glass-cockpit opponents have been predicting?

However I would be quicker to believe that the computers did something
unexpected, and the pilots were so distracted that they forgot about
flying the airplane.  Or perhaps they got disoriented under night/low-
visibility conditions and lost control that way.

Is there any more information out there yet?
--
                        Jonathan Griffitts
AnyWare Engineering                             Boulder, CO, USA