Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

From:         eaustin@islandnet.com (Edward Austin MSc)
Date:         05 Nov 96 04:14:01
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

On 5 Oct 1996 03:33:07 GMT, rickydik@ix.netcom.com(RD Rick) wrote:

>In <533vhb$3rm8@acs2.acs.ucalgary.ca> bauwens@acs.ucalgary.ca (Luc
>Bauwens) writes:

>>Again, misleading/sloppy/dishonest job by the press?
>>
>>No matter how hard a bunch of prejudiced Germans tried to
>>ascribe the responsibility to the Turkish crew, I thought
>>it had been generally recognized that the key factor in the
>>accident was the conflicting reactions of two computers or
>>software to a plugged pitot tube?
>>
>>One of them producing an (incorrect) overspeed warning while the
>>other, a stall warning.  Faced with 50/50 odds, the pilots picked
>>the wrong bet...

Not too different from another crash initially blamed on the Turkish
crew by the American press, that of the THY DC-10 back in March '74.
This crash initially ascribed to pilot error turned out to be faulty
design of the cargo door latching mechanism. Mc D-D (and the American
press)  implying the crew being "Turkish" was somehow to blame.