Re: ETOPS

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         05 Nov 96 04:13:57

michael keenan wrote:

> On 28 Oct 1996, Keith Barr wrote:
 >
> > Does anyone know if there has ever been a case of multiple, simultaneous,
> > unrelated, turbine engine failures above V1?  It seems to me that if you
> > have two engines die, no matter how many you have, they are all likely to go.
>
> The only scenario I can think of is with tri-jets. If you lose one of the
> wing engines on a DC-10/MD-11 or an L-1011, and it's an uncontained
> failure, I could imagine pieces of the engine getting sucked into the
> intake of the tail engine and taking that out. '

I think there have been a number of instances where an uncontained failure
of #2 or #3 on a 4-engine plane has taken out #1 or #4 as well. In fact,
I find this much more likely than a wing engine on a tri-jet taking out
the tail engine, since the trailing/outboard engines on a 4-engine swept-
wing plane are well within range of flying fragments from the
leading/inboard engines. On a tri, the intake for #2 is both further away
and partially protected by the fuselage and wing structure.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029