Re: Photo of Pan Am 747 W/5 engines

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         03 Nov 96 19:57:01

In article <airliners.1996.2210@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "McElravy"
<cpa1@penn.com> wrote:
> In one of my books on the
> 777 (the one by Guy Norris and Mark Wagner, I think, but it could be in
> 21st Century Jet's limited photo section) there is a picture of a 777
> engine (I can't remember which brand: I can't find either book) being
> loaded into a monster Antanov for transport. This makes me think that
> transporting the monster engines for this airliner is rather difficult (big
> around as a 737: doubters may look in the Guy Norris book; there is a
> picture of a British Airways 737 (the River Eire, I believe) next to a GE90
> equipped 777. Wow.)

Actually, the 777s engines are not quite as large in diameter as a 737
fuselage, although the GE comes close if you use the outside dimension of
the fan case.

All the 777s engines can be shipped in a C-130 transport, the most common
way of airshipping engines.  However, the GE does require the fan to be
removed in this case.  Since most of the few problems that might occur
with an engine involve the core and not the fan, the larger size of the GE
should not present significant problems since mostly what you're shipping
is the core only.

The shippment of engines in the Antanov was primarily during the intial
production of the first airplanes which were used for flight test, and
during the one-year flight test period.  The flight test schedule required
that engines be returned for analysis and replacement engines sent out to
us quite rapidly, so the Antonov was used.  I believe that normal
shippment of production engines from Pratt & Whitney and GE is by rail, or
truck, or both.  I don't know how the Rolls engines are sent over, but as
I said, they can fit in a relatively inexpensive air freighter like a
C-130.  Obviously, if there is a need in the future to move an assembled
engine from the manufacturer to Puget Sound in a hurry, the Antonov will
be used again.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane