Re: MD-80: Lawn Dart or Efficient Design?

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         03 Nov 96 19:56:59

JWizardC wrote:

> The good news is that
> is saves a lot of plumbing for fuel, hot air, and electricity. The bad
> news is that if you forget to turn it off prior to takeoff, the passengers
> get treated to a real pretty purple flame shooting out of the top of the
> gear well as it starves for air.

Well, I've never seen the pretty purple flame... but I have seen a "nervous
flier" in the seat in front of me nearly have a stroke when the flight crew
started the APU on a 727 and a lovely plume of thick white smoke poured out
the exhaust port right outside the window :-)  Apparently that particular APU
was a bit of an oil burner.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029