Re: ETOPS

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         03 Nov 96 19:56:59

In article <airliners.1996.2215@ohare.Chicago.COM>, barr@nilenet.com
(Keith Barr) wrote

> Does anyone know if there has ever been a case of multiple, simultaneous,
> unrelated, turbine engine failures above V1?  It seems to me that if you
> have two engines die, no matter how many you have, they are all likely to go.

According to the records, there has never been a case of both engines in a
commercial, twin-engine jetliner failing for separate reasons.  Twins have
run out of fuel and had both engines shut down due to severe rain or hail
ingestion, but as of a year ago when I saw the records as part of
researching an ETOPS video I was producing, there was not a single case of
both engines in a twin failing for different causes, simultaneously or
otherwise.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane