Re: Lockheed TriStar 200

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         10 Feb 96 15:12:15

>I was recently on a red-eye flight with DL from SEA to ATL.  A 1011 was used
>for this flight.  After getting the registration number of the aircraft, which
>was N724DA, I looked in my Commercial Airliner Production Checklist and found
>that this certain tristar was delivered in '78 and converted from an L-1011-1
>to an L-1011-200 in 1980.

Hey, that's the first L-1011 I ever flew on!  It's also familiar
because it is (almost) a one-of-a-kind aircraft.

>I'm aware of the -1, -250 and the -500 series, but the 200 variant is new to
>me.  Can any of you shed some light on the technics of this one?  What
>modifications were made, and for what purpose(s) and advantage(s)?

Lockheed's terminology for the various L-1011 TriStar models is truly
bewildering, as I've mentioned in this newsgroup before.  I'll only
try to describe a bit of it here; for the entire sordid story see the
March 1990 issue of Airliners Monthly News.

The initial TriStar model is officially listed on its type certificate
as an L-1011-385-1.  Lockheed marketing folks variously refered to
this model as the TriStar 1 or L-1011-1.  Unlike Boeing, which codes
the customer (airline) in the model number, Lockheed put that info in
the serial numbers, e.g, N724DA's SN is 193C-1151, where 193C means it
was built for Delta and 1151 means it was the 151st TriStar built.

The next two derivatives were the L-1011-385-1-14 and L-1011-385-1-15,
which feature the same engines (but see next paragraph) as the original
model but an increase in MGTOW to 466,000 lbs (both called TriStar 100
or L-1011-100) with an option to increase the MGTOW further to 474,000
lbs (in which case they're referred to as a 100I or Improved model).
The difference is that the -15 has two added center section fuel
tanks.  A Group 3 L-1011-385-1 (yet another designation, which covers
the 52nd and later aircraft off the line) can up upgraded to these
specs in which case it takes on the new designation(s).

While the L-1011-385-1-14 and -15 originally had the same RB.211-22B
engines as the L-1011-385-1, the cerficate included use of higher
thrust RB.211-524B engines.  Even though the official model is the
same, Lockheed calls these aircraft a TriStar 200.  Again, Group 3
L-1011s could be upgraded, and Delta and LTU each upgraded one of
their aircraft to this standard -- Delta's example was our N724DA.
(Additional TriStar 200s were built as such.)

So, the TriStar 200 is a TriStar 100 with more powerful engines, and
in turn a TriStar 100 is a TriStar 1 with higher gross weights.

The only other *production* variant is the L-1011-385-3 (known to most
of us a TriStar 500 or L-1011-500) which is shorter but has higher
gross weights, giving it much greater range.  However, there a number
of other variants.  The TriStar 250 you mention actually refers to two
different versions.  An initial version, with the bigger engines and a
further boost in MGTOW to 484,000 lbs, was never built as far as I can
tell.  Around 1985, Lockheed offered an upgrade kit for any Group 3
aircraft to increase the MGTOW to 510,000 lbs, the same as a TriStar
500, with the bigger engines of the TriStar 200 and greater fuel
tankage as an option.  These are *still* officially L-1011-385-1-14 or
-15 models; Delta has the only ones.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com