Re: ETOPS

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         03 Nov 96 19:56:57

In <airliners.1996.2215@ohare.Chicago.COM> barr@nilenet.com (Keith
Barr) writes:

>In article <airliners.1996.2169@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>Charles Platt <cp@panix.com> wrote:
>>I was told by a 747 captain that he could continue a takeoff on two
>>engines. But even if this is untrue, if an ETOPS plane loses two engines
>>on takeoff, it's in MUCH DEEPER trouble, wouldn't you say?

>Does anyone know if there has ever been a case of multiple,
simultaneous, unrelated, turbine engine failures above V1?  It seems to
>me that if you have two engines die, no matter how many you have, they
>are all likely to go.

In the late sixties or early seventies a Continental 707 lost both
engines on one side during takeoff from LAX.  They were able to come
around and land safely.  I don't remember if one engine fodded the
other, or if they were independent failures.

If you have a burning desire for more details, write to
JGrandison@aol.com    He does not read this ng.

Of course, if you don't have enough power to clear obstacles with
enough rudder to keep the plane straight, then you better pull what
power you have and make a descent in which you can maintain directional
control.
RD