Re: ETOPS for north pole routes

From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Date:         28 Oct 96 03:06:34

Niels Sampath wrote:
> Can anyone confirm that Resolute Bay is -still- gravel?

I was there in 1990. It was definitely Gravel. So is everything else in
the village.

This is built on permafrost. Paving the runways isn't an easy task.

To give you an example: The concrete floor in the aircraft hanger has
refrigiration equipment under it to prevent the ground under the
building from melting (which would cause the building to sink).

Black tar on a runway would require insulation between it and the ground
to prevent thaw and repairs would be expensive. Repairs on gravel runway
is a lot easier/quicker and cheaper.

For the few weeks of the year where there is no snow, I am not sure
there would be any benefits in paving the runway.