Re: Photo of Pan Am 747 W/5 engines

From:         "McElravy" <cpa1@penn.com>
Date:         28 Oct 96 03:06:33
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

In T.A. Heppenheimer's TURBULENT SKIES book (a history of commercial
aviation, I highly recommend) there is a picture of an L-1011 with 4
engines. Incidentally it was painted in Lockheed colors (I think) so it was
probably certified right off the bat.

How is the extra engine mounted? How long does it take to mount/unmount?
How much extra does it cost to haul a spare around? Are airlines allowed to
do during normal commercial flights? If so, how often does it really
happen?

I don't expect to see any 777s carrying a spare anytime in the future. :-)
This does bring up an interesting point, though. In one of my books on the
777 (the one by Guy Norris and Mark Wagner, I think, but it could be in
21st Century Jet's limited photo section) there is a picture of a 777
engine (I can't remember which brand: I can't find either book) being
loaded into a monster Antanov for transport. This makes me think that
transporting the monster engines for this airliner is rather difficult (big
around as a 737: doubters may look in the Guy Norris book; there is a
picture of a British Airways 737 (the River Eire, I believe) next to a GE90
equipped 777. Wow.)

							Evan McElravy
							cpa1@penn.com