Re: 747s In The Movies

From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay )
Date:         21 Oct 96 13:31:42

In <airliners.1996.2120@ohare.Chicago.COM> etech@deltanet.com (Eric
Chevalier) writes:

>Some interesting activities involving 747s seem to be going on at LAX
>right now.
>
>Watching this filmmaking activity brings a couple of questions to
>mind: first, what's the ballpark cost of renting a 747 for a day?  The
>747 is running on its own power (it's not being towed), so there are
>fuel costs involved, as well as a crew to operate the plane.

     It couldn't cost much more than what it cost to set up and film a
small portion of "Continental Divide" (with John Belushi).

     The film company helicopter ferried equipment from our parking lot
at the ski area up to the top of an adjoining mountain and set it up.
This consumed all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Filming was
Thursday morning and the rest of that day and all day Friday was
devoted to bringing the equipment down again.

     At a party Thursday night at one of the Inns, someone asked one of
the film people if they had gotten what they came for and was told the
scenery was just what they wanted.  When asked if we would be able to
recognize the mountain in the movie, we were told we would be able to
identify the portion of the film taken up there.  Asked how long the
sequence(s) would be on film, the answer was that, after editing, it
should run between 90 and 120 SECONDS.

     Ever wonder why movies cost so much???

>But I'm very impressed by the paint job on N703CK.  It looks like the
>real thing (even down to the 28000 tail number).  I'm guessing that
>the plane is involved in another movie or TV shoot.  What's a ballpark
>figure for the cost of painting a 747?

     When I worked for an airline at Boeing Field in Seattle, a
TV-movie company rented one of our B-707's for a sequence in the
made-for-TV film about JFK.  The film starred James Franciscus and one
of the gals from "Charlie's Angels".

     The plane was towed across the airport to the paint shop at Boeing
Company and one side was painted a la Air Force One.  It was towed to
the terminal for the shooting where they drove a set of stairs up to
the plane (marked "Air France") for the simulated arrival of JFK and
Jackie at Orly Field in Paris.  After the stars exited the plane and
went down the steps, the plane was towed back to our ramp.  Another 90
to 120 second bit on film.  Oh - cost of the paint job for the one side
of the plane $30,000.

     I always kidded our company president afterward that we could be
making money with the plane even though it was slated to be made into
aluminum cans.  We could charge people ten bucks a throw to have their
pictures taken coming off Air Force One and we wouldn't even have to
have any fuel in the tanks or the engines running.  He was too
narrow-minded to go along with my suggestion though.

     Lou.