Re: looking for VC-10 military designator

From:         Matt Clonfero <matt@aetherem.demon.co.uk>
Date:         21 Oct 96 13:31:41

In message <airliners.1996.2132@ohare.Chicago.COM> Markus Buttinger wrote:

> I hope this is the right newsgroup to post my question...

Sure is.

> Is anyone able to tell me the military designator for the
> VC-10 aircraft (I guess it's a Vickers) that is still in use
> by the Royal Air Force?

10 Squadron         RAF Brize Norton        10 x VC10 C.1 / C.1K
101 Squadron        RAF Brize Norton         9 x VC10 K.2 / K.3
                                             1 x VC10 K.4

The C.1 is the cargo only version, others are the various marks
of tankers and tanker/transports.

The RAF still uses the name VC10 and Super VC10.

> I saw one if those (callsign: ZD 230) in Iraklion/Crete Island
> on Tuesday. It's a totally brown a/c with a big white 'K' in
> the tail. - Anyone out there with info on what this could be -
> (tanker/mines searcher, etc.)?

Well, the C.1s are cargo birds; the C.1K is a dual-role tanker-transport
and the K.2 to K.4 are, in the main, tankers.

Aetherem Vincere
Matt.
Matt Clonfero (matt@aetherem.demon.co.uk) | To err is human,
My employer & I have a deal - they don't  | To forgive is not Air Force Policy.
speak for me, and I don't speak for them. |   -- Anon, ETPS