Re: Photo of Pan Am 747 W/5 engines

From:         falke@pweh.com ( 0 Falke_Charlie phone dist )
Date:         21 Oct 96 02:29:20

> I just posted a photo of a Pan Am 747SP with five engines on my Web
> page, http://rampages.onramp.net/~djs.

Don,
  Just in case anybody gets confused, this arangement is called "5th podding"
and was created to provided a means to move 747 engines from place to place.
The 5th engine is just carried, no fuel, no thrust.  It did, of course,
generate the obvious ribbing that the early JT-9D's were so awful that
4 engines wasn't enough redundancy. :-)

Charlie Falke                 Pratt & Whitney
System Test Team Leader       C/O Boeing Comm AP grp.
206-544-5227 @777 PW4090 F/T  1420 So. Trenton st.
206-663-0913 beeper           Bldg 15-30 1st flr door N5
                              Seattle, Wa. 98108