Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
Date:         21 Oct 96 02:29:20

pboswell@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Peter Boswell) writes:

>I just finished reading Stephen Frederick's "Unheeded Warning: the inside
>story of American Eagle Flight 4184," and was wondering if the French
>manufacturer of the ATR-42 and ATR-72, Aerospatiale, is part of the
>consortium which builds the Airbus series?  Frederick's analysis of
>Aerospatiale's continued denials of problems with the ATR's performance in
>icing conditions is chilling enough to persuade me never to set foot in an
>ATR.  If the same company is connected with the Airbus, I would be very
>cautious about travelling again in one of those, too.

ATR is not Airbus per se, but it is made by a partnership of two of the
members of the Airbus consortium.  The plane rolls off the factory floor
in Tolouse (sp?) France, right next to Airbus aircraft.  A friend who flew
ATR's and now flies an Airbus reports that systems, terminology, etc. are
very similar in the two products.  For all intents and purposes it's like
a little Airbus.

However, the crux of the problem on the ATR was ice forming behind the
boots.  Airbuses, like most jetliners, use Thermal Anti-Ice, as opposed to
pneumatic boot De-Ice.  TAI is much superior.  Therefore an Airbus would
not suffer from this problem.

Also, I would not hesitate to set foot back in an ATR today.  The boots
were extended further back on the wing, which should solve the problem.  A
little too late, however, for the folks who died in Roselawn.

Also, Frederick may not be exactly an objective source.  He definitely has
some axes to grind.

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!