Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)
Date:         21 Oct 96 02:29:19

In article <airliners.1996.2114@ohare.Chicago.COM>, pboswell@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
says...

>I just finished reading Stephen Frederick's "Unheeded Warning: the inside
>story of American Eagle Flight 4184," and was wondering if the French
>manufacturer of the ATR-42 and ATR-72, Aerospatiale, is part of the
>consortium which builds the Airbus series?  Frederick's analysis of
>Aerospatiale's continued denials of problems with the ATR's performance in
>icing conditions is chilling enough to persuade me never to set foot in an
>ATR.  If the same company is connected with the Airbus, I would be very
>cautious about travelling again in one of those, too.

Basing you decision on a book is very shortsighted.  Would it not be better to
find out what has been done to ensure the safety of the ATRs instead of jumping
to conclusions?

Extensive testing of the aircraft for icing with new extended de-icing boots
has been done.  I also believe that the modification was required by AD to be
installed on all airraft (operated in the U.S).