Re: An unscientific survey (Airbus vs Boeing) [Long]

From:         meb4593@webevt01.ca.boeing.com
Date:         10 Feb 96 15:12:13

>>>>> "Bradg" == Bradg Gillies <Bradg@io.org> writes:

Bradg> I work on both Boeings and Airbusses on a regulsar basis.  The
Bradg> Airbus, forthe most part is easier to work on than the Boeing.
Bradg> Boeing haas a way of making the aircraft unfriendly to the
Bradg> Mechanics.  I hope this has changed with the 777.  I still

It has.  There was a Chief Mechanic (Jack Hessburg) assigned to the
project with the same level of responsibility of any Chief Engineer;
he was the guy looking out for the mechanics and to keep maintenance
costs low.

A lot of work was done on the Central Maintenance Computer.  One of
the problems we had early on the 747-400 CMC were the large number of
nuisance maintenance messages ... A CMC doesn't help a lot when you
have to ignore most of the messages you receive.

We also gave the airlines the ability to customize data acquisition
and report building; for example, they could gather engine data and
trigger reports if they were exceeding certain parameters.  This could
allow them to predict when certain engine maintenance must be
performed before a problem develops.

As many of you know, this was a digitally developed airplane using the
CATIA system.  They also developed "CATIA-MAN"; they could simulate a
mechanic in the drawing system to ensure he would have access to parts
within the airplane in order to perform maintenance.

Due to our lengthy flight test program, Jack said the airplane was
acting like it had been in service for ten years, soon after we made
our first deliveries ...

--
Michael Bain                 WebMaster                  (206) 294-0913
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group                   Cabin Systems - IFE