Re: Can't use GPS on Alaska Airlines

From:         rmeizlik@carroll.com
Date:         12 Oct 96 22:13:11

In <airliners.1996.1901@ohare.Chicago.COM>, boyd@france3.fr (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>While in Manhattan I was a bit suprised during 31 August and 1
>September when I was getting ~5 km position errors.  In the weeks
>following the worst it got was 100's of metres.  Obviously Manhattan
>is not great for GPS and the Empire State Building and the internal
>observation deck of the World Trade Centre are a dead loss.

One would hope that famous landmarks (Empire State building, WTC,
Statue of Liberty, etc....) have their locations purposely fudged to avoid
being targeted by terrorists using buzz-bomg/gps combos.

Also, the WTC observation deck moves significantly in the wind.
Just go to the bathroom or run a water fountain and watch the water move
back and forth.

-BOBm