Re: Fuselage temps, wind, et al

From:         egotrip@lesol1.dseg.ti.com (Mike Neus)
Date:         12 Oct 96 22:13:08

In article <airliners.1996.1894@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Newtimes Ltd. Philippines
said...

>Why is anti-ice applied on the leading edge of the wing (of a
>high-altitude) and not on the fuselage?  Can we assume that friction
>also generates enough heat to prevent a build-up of ice on the
>fuselage?  And if so, what is the surface temperature of the fuselage at
>cruising speed/altitude?

Ted, the problem is ice can't build up on the wings specifically.  Ice on the
wing interfears with the airflow and affects the lift.  Enough ice build up
and there is no lift at all.  The fusalage doesn't matter as much, the only
penalty here is added weight and drag.  However on DC-9 type aircraft, they
will deice the entire plane to keep ice from getting sucked into the
eingines.

>Without or without computers, how is wind & direction computed during
>flight?

I don't think you can...a plane buzzing at 500 miles an hour would pretty
much make any direction or velocity detection difficult, if not impossible.
I must also ask, why would anyone care?