Delta L1011 N781 incident

From:         libove@libove.mindspring.com (Jay Vassos-Libove)
Date:         10 Feb 96 15:12:13

I talked yesterday with a Delta Airlines engineer who told me about
an incident of a few months ago with a Delta L1011 N781 (possibly "N781EA"
otherwise typically their craft end in "DA" or "DL").  This is an
ex-Eastern Airlines L1011.

He said that the aircraft had departed on what would turn out to be
its last flight, from Hawaii bound for the mainland USA.  A couple
of hours out from Hawaii, the aircraft suddenly depressurized as
a result of a nine foot long stress fracture in the structural
members between the rear left door and the tailplane.  The aircraft
descended and slowly continued to California, where it landed
safely, and was decomissioned and sold back to Lockheed for
experimentation.

I never heard about this incident in the media, and don't recall
seeing it discussed here.

Does anyone have more details?
--
Jay Vassos-Libove			libove@MindSpring.com
11575 Laurel Lake Drive			+1 770 552 0543