ATR-72's and Airbuses

From:         pboswell@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Peter Boswell)
Date:         12 Oct 96 21:34:30
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I just finished reading Stephen Frederick's "Unheeded Warning: the inside
story of American Eagle Flight 4184," and was wondering if the French
manufacturer of the ATR-42 and ATR-72, Aerospatiale, is part of the
consortium which builds the Airbus series?  Frederick's analysis of
Aerospatiale's continued denials of problems with the ATR's performance in
icing conditions is chilling enough to persuade me never to set foot in an
ATR.  If the same company is connected with the Airbus, I would be very
cautious about travelling again in one of those, too.

Peter Boswell

Dr. Peter G. Boswell
Department of Political Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland