Re: ETOPS

From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Date:         12 Oct 96 21:34:29

Scott Odle wrote:
> There are some
> very skeptical (and in some cases ignorant) people in some of the aviation
> related newsgroups.  As I recall Boeing had to go through alot of testing to
> prove reliability and maintainability in order to get the approval.

I have never had problems or fears about twin engine flights over ocean.
I recall my first flight to AKL from HNL in a 767, well before I learned
about ETOPS, and never even thought about a twin jet being "more
dangerous" than one with more engines. Perhaps my age/background
resulted in my not knowing about
some of the dangers.

Question: Have there been historical grounds for fearing twin engined
planes over the ocean ? (eg: was there a time when JET engines often
failed during flight ?) Or are these fears purely a result of the fear
of flying by some ?