Re: DC-9/MD-80 Type Certificate

From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)
Date:         12 Oct 96 02:36:01

In article <airliners.1996.1972@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
says...

>Jennings Heilig wrote:
>>Terrell D. Drinkard wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure that all the MD-80/90 aircraft have the same type
>>> certificate as the DC-9.  Could you double check your references?
>
>>       Nope, Karl is correct.  McDD got a new type certificate for the
>>MD-88, and I believe that somehow they got it to cover the MD-80/81/
>>82/83/87 as well ...
>>... If you look at the
>>airworthiness certificate on the front bulkhead sometime you'll see
>>what it's listed as...  All of DL's are listed as TYPE:  MD-88
>
>While the FAA was once very retentive about type designations (see
>past discussions about why the L-1011-385-1-14 has such a cumbersome
>moniker), I thought they eased up and let MD use MD-88 as the official
>designation, without forcing a new TC just for a name change.
>
>The MD-90, as I heard it, was the first of the DC-9 series to have a
>completely new type certificate.  I looked thru http://www.faa.gov but
>couldn't find anything relevant, unfortunately.

They did not receive new type certificates.  The MD-90 was added as a new model
to the existing type certificate.  Also, nothing has eased up for as long as I
can remember.  There are numurous type certificates with multiple model
designations on them, many of which have existed for quite a long time.

aircraft has little to do do with what models are listed on a Type Certificate
and its associated Type Certificate Data Sheet.  The only requirement is the
model designation is shown using the same designation as the TC and TCDS.