Re: ATR 72 EMR evacuation

From:         Dave English <d.english@worldnet.att.net>
Date:         12 Oct 96 02:36:00

Tukano wrote:

> Imagine an ATR 72 to be evacuated urgently on the ground: We suppose an
> a (right) engine Fire, so that everybody is rushing to the back of the
> a/c. Will the craft's rear fall on the ground (tailscrape) due to the
> mass of people (including Cockpit crew) rushing to the back?

Yes, very likely if everybody rushed to the back.  An orderly evac
should not be a problem however, and if people really want to get out a
large number would use the emergency exits at the front of the passenger
cabin, row 1.

> In normal
> OPS there is the necessity to fix a stick under the fuselage below the
> rear doors to avoid the described effect when boarding/ disembarking

Yes, but only as a back up in case normal loading/boarding procedures
are not followed and a plane tilts onto it's tail.

 -- Dave.  (ATR O'Hare)