Re: ATR 72 EMR evacuation

From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
Date:         12 Oct 96 02:36:00

In article <airliners.1996.1992@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Tukano
<immoeadj@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

>Imagine an ATR 72 to be evacuated urgently on the ground: We suppose an
>a (right) engine Fire, so that everybody is rushing to the back of the
>a/c. Will the craft's rear fall on the ground (tailscrape) due to the
>mass of people (including Cockpit crew) rushing to the back?

No.  The rear airstair door is NOT the only exit on the left side of the
aircraft.  There are forward and rear emergency exits on both sides of the
passenger cabin. (Four passenger emergency exits total.)  The Cockpit crew
exits through a hatch in the roof of the cockpit.

>In normal
>OPS there is the necessity to fix a stick under the fuselage below the
>rear doors to avoid the described effect when boarding/ disembarking the
>a/c.

This is not uncommon.  The Saab 340 has a tail stand too.  The B727 must
have the airstair down and locked during normal embarking/disembarking to
act as a tail stand.  In cargo operations, a tail stand is also added to
the B727-200

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!