Re: ETOPS

From:         "Dennis L. Murphy" <dlmurphy@neosoft.com>
Date:         12 Oct 96 02:35:57

Karl Swartz wrote:
> It was an Eastern L-1011, flying from Miami to San Juan.  I don't have
> the date but I thought it was in the 1970s.  (Details appreciated if
> anyone can supply them.)

Nope, the flight was from Miami to Nassau, and it was in the early
'70's.  Amazing what a little "o" ring can do on the oil filler tube on
those older RR engines.  When the aircraft landed only one engine was
running ( and that was at minimum power.  The flight actually landed on
the over (under?) run area of the runway it was assigned to.  ATC got a
lot of hassle from this incident because of the way they handled the
flight, as did the flight crew.  They flew the aircraft exceptionally
well, they handled the logisitics poorly.  They were less than 50 miles
from Nassau when they turned back to Miami because "Miami had the
maintenance facilities."  Some priorities!!