Re: inoperative Fire Detection

From:         "Ted Pleavin" <pleavin@HK.Super.NET>
Date:         12 Oct 96 02:35:57

thomas smith <trsmith@prado.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1996.1962@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Kamal Hisham wrote:
> > I am a pilot on the B747-400, and I am interested in opinions on the
> > unavailibity of the fire detection system on one engine.  Supposing a
> > flight departs with Fire Detector Loop A on engine # 1 inoperative, and,
> > inflight, Loop B on the same engine fails.  Now, a situation exists
> > where there is a total unavailibilty of fire detection on eng # 1.
> > Should the flight continue to destination, or should it be landed at the
> > nearest suitable airport? Shut down the engine or let it be ?
> > What else can be done to take care of the situation?
>
>   This really seems like a Question for the Flight Standards Captain of
> your airline, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't already be addressed in
> the flight manual for the airplane, or for the airline ..??

I think you will find that the consensus will be to shut down the engine
and continue. I have flown the -400 and am now on the -200, and that is the
procedure.  The engine should be shut down due to lack of fire detection,
however once it is shut down there is no need to land at the nearest
suitable A/P on a four engine A/C.

Hope this helps,
Cheers Ted.