Re: Undercarriage retraction on the ground

From:         Robert Carpenter <rcarpen@lan2wan.com>
Date:         11 Oct 96 19:44:55

McElravy wrote:

> > I was catching up on my backlog of magazines at the weekend, and in
> > one of them was a short news piece about a 747 that was getting wheeled
> > out of BA's Cardiff maintenance facility, when someone inadvertently
> > retracted the undercarriage.  The result was $1million repair charge.

  Not quite the same thing, but a story from a friend of mine at the time
had a Capital Airlines Viscount deploy its spoilers a few feet above the
runway at DCA.  It seems they were interconnected to the gear to deploy
when the gear took the plane's weight and some interlock failed.  The
plane was said to have been written off, though there were no serious
injuries.

	Bob Carpenter   w3otc@amsat.org