AW: Undercarriage retraction on the ground

From:         "R.Schmidt" <schmidt@worldonline.nl>
Date:         11 Oct 96 19:44:54

>I was catching up on my backlog of magazines at the weekend, and in
>one of them was a short news piece about a 747 that was getting wheeled
>out of BA's Cardiff maintenance facility, when someone inadvertently
>retracted the undercarriage.  The result was $1million repair charge.
>Does anyone know more about this incident in particular, and this kind
>of scenario in general.

Late June, 1995 Team Aer Lingus' Fokker 50, EI-FKA, c/n 20118, endured
maintenane.  During the test of the NLG, a mechanic forgot to lock the
so called 'ground-lock-pin' of the MLG.  Result: the NLG and the LH
MLG were retracted at the same moment and the plane badly damaged!

Source: 'Airnieuws', Holland.