Re: MD-80: Lawn Dart or Efficient Design?

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         11 Oct 96 19:44:53

GWilson404@aol.com wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.1635@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "David G. Davidson"
> <gerhard@onramp.net> writes:
>
> >727 APU installation is the best of the three, but also far from ideal.
>
> Can anyone describe to me what the 727 APU installation actually is?

Its in the starbord (right hand) wing root. The exhaust exits from the top of
the wing, a bit aft of the emergency exits. The only drawback I can think of to
this installation is that it is noisier inside the cabin than an APU buried
back in the tail, because the exhaust stream is literally a couple of feet from
the passengers. Maybe the maintenence guys on the list can give more details- I
*think* the APU is accessible through the starbord wheel well, so its much
easier to service than a tail-mounted unit.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029