Re: Air Canada DC-9s questions

From:         Dale Thompson <Dale.Thompson@internetmci.com>
Date:         11 Oct 96 19:44:49

Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca> wrote:
>Also, I noticed a hole in the leading edge of the tail, just above the
>fuselage. Is this an air intake for the apu ?
>
>Also, the rubber gasket on the front door seemed quite different from
>other more modern planes. Is this the actual air tight barrier when door
>is closed, of does this very visible rubber gasket serve a protective or
>other function ?

To answer two questions,The inlet at the base of the vertical stab. is
the ram air supply for the air cycle machines(air conditioning) not the
apu. the inlet for the apu is on the lower surface of the aircraft forward
of the tailcone. The door seal does sealthe door allowing the aircraft to
pressurize providing an airtight seal.