Re: Air Canada DC-9s questions

From:         "Mihir Pramod Shah" <mps1@cec.wustl.edu>
Date:         11 Oct 96 19:44:48

Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca> wrote in article in a DC-9 in
years)

> I would be interested in knowing when the DC-9s were first introduced,
> and when they were at their apex of sales, and when did sales of new
> DC-9s stop ? Was the DC-9 immediatly replaced by the MD80 or was there a
> few years in between ?

The first DC-9, a -10 series model, rolled out in 1965, I believe.  They
were stretched in various stages during the next decade or so as the -20,
-30, -40, and -50 series.  The -30 and -50 series DC-9s are more common, I
think.

The first DC-9-80 was introduced around 1979, later renamed the MD-80 (to
reflect the "McDonnell Douglas" name rather than "Douglas Corporation" name
before McDonnell and Douglas Aircraft merged).

The MD-80 design has also been modified in the MD-81, -82, -83, -87, and
-88, though the differences between MD-80 variants is not as simple as
fuselage stretches.  The MD-87 is actually a shorter version, for example,
and some modifications on other models include avionics and flight deck
modernizations.

I don't know anything about DC-9/MD-80 sales histories, but I'm sure there
somewhere in a book or on a website.

> Are there still a lot or DC9s that were built prior to 1970 in service
> in North America, or was the one I flew a true/rare "vintage" one ?

You bet.  As far as pre-1970, perhaps not a whole lot, but there are many,
many DC-9's that are in the 20 and up age range.  Northwest, TWA, to some
extent USAir, and of course ValuJet, all have older DC-9's.  I would
imagine there are also many vintage DC-9 operators in developing countries,
charters, etc.

> Also, I noticed a hole in the leading edge of the tail, just above the
> fuselage. Is this an air intake for the apu ?

Good question, I always wondered about that hole...

Mihir Shah
mps1@cec.wustl.edu