Re: ETOPS

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         10 Oct 96 11:29:29
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

>As I recall, about 10 years ago, an aircraft (DC10 or L1011, can't
>remember which) suffered catastrophic loss of engine oil pressure
>somewhere in the region of the Caribbean. Two out of the three engines
>were shut down. The remaining engine lasted long enough to reach a safe
>landing, though it too was suffering loss of oil pressure--a critical
>component had been wrongly installed in all three engines.

It was an Eastern L-1011, flying from Miami to San Juan.  I don't have
the date but I thought it was in the 1970s.  (Details appreciated if
anyone can supply them.)

The single point of failure in this incident was the mechanic -- one
individual improperly serviced all three engines.  I believe one of
the operational ETOPS requirements is that the same mechanics cannot
work on both engines.  That's why ETOPS is painted clearly on the nose
of all ETOPS-certified aircraft -- the ramp people need to follow
special procedures in servicing an ETOPS aircraft.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com