Re: ETOPS

From:         cp@panix.com (Charles Platt)
Date:         10 Oct 96 11:29:29
Followups:    1 2 3

DLawler (dlawler@aol.com) wrote:

> to keep them in peak operating condition.  Boeing has argued that the
> evidence shows the more engines and aircraft has, the more likely there
> will be a problem with one or more of the engines, and that consequently
> 3+ engine airplanes are no more safe in that respect than 2 engine
> airplanes.

By this argument, double or triple redundancy in instruments or control
systems should also be removed, since the more electronics or the more
hydraulic lines you have, the greater the chance there is for one of them
to fail.

As I recall, about 10 years ago, an aircraft (DC10 or L1011, can't
remember which) suffered catastrophic loss of engine oil pressure
somewhere in the region of the Caribbean. Two out of the three engines
were shut down. The remaining engine lasted long enough to reach a safe
landing, though it too was suffering loss of oil pressure--a critical
component had been wrongly installed in all three engines. Certainly this
was a singular event, but one event is all it takes to make this passenger
feel that redundancy is a comforting concept.