Re: Back on the Named Engines thread...

From:         graemec@ibm.net (Graeme Cant)
Date:         10 Oct 96 11:29:28

In article <airliners.1996.1961@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jheilig@gate.net (J.
Heilig) says...

>Perhaps someone at Rolls-Royce can tell us why RR only named one engine
>after a mountain?  As far as I'm aware, the Olympus was the only engine
>RR named thus...

Well, if anybody except the two of us cares, it's actually because
it's not really a RR engine.  It was taken over from Bristol in one
of those mind-blowing amalgamation exercises the UK industry was
prone to going through before it reached its current state of
perfection :).

Bristol gave all their engines names from classical Greek - Hercules
(no, not Poirot), Centaurus, Perseus, Mercury, Taurus, etc. for
piston engines and Theseus, Proteus (world's most widely travelled
icemaker) Orion, Orpheus, Olympus, etc. for turbines.  As I recall, it
(Olympus) was the best engine RR have made.

The trouble with age is the amount of trivia you find you have
lumbered yourself with...

Graeme Cant