Re: Back on the Named Engines thread...

From:         Graham Glen <Graham@irving.demon.co.uk>
Date:         10 Oct 96 11:29:28

>Perhaps someone at Rolls-Royce can tell us why RR only named one engine
>after a mountain?  As far as I'm aware, the Olympus was the only engine
>RR named thus.  Otherwise we'd have the Rolls-Royce Everest, K-2 (?),
>Erebus (not a bad name...), Kilimanjaro, Fuji (maybe not), etc.  Perhaps
>it's because England doesn't have any memorable mountain names?

No, the real reason is because the Olympus was designed by Bristol-
Siddeley. RR later took over control and inherited the engine.

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk

".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called
management and the so-called creative by the time it took for a memo to go
in one direction and a half-brick to come back in the other."
        Dennis Potter