Re: An unscientific survey (Airbus vs Boeing) [Long]

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         10 Jan 96 02:01:43
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

All I can say is, Boeing has been building airliners since 1956.  Airbus
is a committee (at best).  Boeing listens to it's customers, Airbus
treats them like it's the customer's privilege to buy airplanes from
Airbus.

The reason I say this is that an incident was told to me by someone in
engineering at FedEx in Memphis.  Airbus was asked to dispose of the old
shade of Federal Express purple when FedEx changed color schemes about
two years ago.  The new shade is considerably darker.  Not only did
Airbus not dispose of it as asked, but they continued using it
(incorrectly) on the new paint scheme!  As if that weren't bad enough,
they shipped a large quantity of it up to Hamburg where some of the A310s
which were being converted to freighters were being painted!  The FedEx
people in Memphis were more than a little miffed at Airbus over that one.

This just points out one of the differences in corporate philosophy.  I
have nothing to do with either company, but I feel *much* better getting
on a Boeing airplane than an Airbus.

Jennings Heilig