Re: Undercarriage retraction on the ground

From:         "McElravy" <cpa1@penn.com>
Date:         10 Oct 96 11:29:26

> I was catching up on my backlog of magazines at the weekend, and in
> one of them was a short news piece about a 747 that was getting wheeled
> out of BA's Cardiff maintenance facility, when someone inadvertently
> retracted the undercarriage.  The result was $1million repair charge.

There must have been a physical problem since most smallish general
aviation aircraft have systems to prevent just this sort of thing from
happening, and the landing gear on a 747 hold up a lot more weight. That
there would be no countermeasures in place to begin with seems almost
negligent.

							Evan McElravy
							cpa1@penn.com