From:         Mark Ingram <markt@mickey.mo-net.com>
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:10

On 1 Oct 1996, 0 Falke_Charlie phone dist wrote:

>    Actually, I think the 737 meets or exceeds all the current regulatory
>    requirements.

> Terry,
>    A difference that comes to mind is that the old 737's at least, only
> had to allow 1 second for reaction time for an aborted takeoff as a
> derivative, wheras the A320 as a new airplane had to allow two.

I do suspect that there could be any number of significant "grandfathered"
737 systems that would not meet current certification criteria.  In one of
the _AW&ST_ articles discussing the NTSB's ongoing investigation of 737
uncommanded rudder inputs (United and USAir, among others), it was
reported that the rudder PCU (power control unit, I believe it is) could
not be certified under today's regulations.

Mark E. Ingram

MarkT@Mo-Net.Com (also mingram@mail.orion.org)