Re: longest flight?

From:         dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin)
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:08

In article <airliners.1996.1934@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
|> >     My wife and my sister-in-law have both flown this JFK-JNB segment
|> >in both directions (not together) and I believe it stopped in the
|> >Azores to refuel every time.  Sample size is at least six flights,
|> >three in each direction, various times of the year.
|>
|> Are you sure it was the Azores and not Cape Verde?  The Azores are
|> pretty far north of the shortest path, while the Cape Verde Islands
|> are right on the money.  (When United planned to fly IAD-JNB, they
|> were going to stop at Cape Verde -- both ways.)

The SAA stop is at Isle do Sal in the Cape Verdes--a small island that
looks big enough to fit a runway and little else. Nice, one-story
terminal that looks like an excellent set for filming some Idi Amin
hostage movie. Lots of guards with AK-47's. But, a real men's room!
(Couldn't tell anything about the Duty Free shop as it was closed when
we landed).

--
       David Medin            Phone: (319) 295-1862
   Rockwell Collins ATD	      Internet: