Re: ETOPS

From:         gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Gerard Foley)
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:07

Julian Throp (jthrop@earthlight.co.nz) wrote:
: Have there been any accidents or incidents directly relating to etops,
: and have their been any etops incidents with the B777 or A 330?
: How  safe are ETOPS and are pilots aware of the risks in day to day
: operations.
: Are ETOPS flights as safe as 3 and 4 engined aircraft, except the obvious
: that they have less engines and hence less chance of a failure!

  When I was riding in the ex-Braniff 747 that Tower took me to Brazil
in in 1986, the woman in the seat next to me was having obvious signs
of distress during our takeoff at JFK.  After some straight climbing
flight she groaned "He isn't going to turn again, is he?"

  I asked if she disliked flying.  She said no, she loved flying,
she did a lot of it in California in her own light single.  She
didn't like these big ones with all these engines.  The more engines,
the more chance for something to go wrong.

  Happily nothing did.
--
Gerry