Re: DC-9/MD-80 Type Certificate

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:07
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Jennings Heilig wrote:
>Terrell D. Drinkard wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that all the MD-80/90 aircraft have the same type
>> certificate as the DC-9.  Could you double check your references?

>	Nope, Karl is correct.  McDD got a new type certificate for the
>MD-88, and I believe that somehow they got it to cover the MD-80/81/
>82/83/87 as well ...
>... If you look at the
>airworthiness certificate on the front bulkhead sometime you'll see
>what it's listed as...  All of DL's are listed as TYPE:  MD-88

While the FAA was once very retentive about type designations (see
past discussions about why the L-1011-385-1-14 has such a cumbersome
moniker), I thought they eased up and let MD use MD-88 as the official
designation, without forcing a new TC just for a name change.

The MD-90, as I heard it, was the first of the DC-9 series to have a
completely new type certificate.  I looked thru http://www.faa.gov but
couldn't find anything relevant, unfortunately.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com