Re: RAT

From:         dweeks@primenet.com (David Weeks)
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:07

ltregear@camtech.net.au wrote:

>I've heard the A320 has a Ram Air Turbine, that automatically ejects
>into the airstream upon engine failure.
>
>My question is where is this Ram Air Turbine positioned and how big and
>how much power does it provide?

Not quite right. The RAT is deployed (by a large spring) if BOTH AC busses
lose power inflight. It is located in the center section, just aft of
where the leading edge of the left wing meets the fuselage. I can't
remember the exact amount of power it provides, but it will power the
essential busses for as long as you care to fly. The RAT comes off line
when the gear comes down, as it will not run properly below 140 KTS. So,
when you drop the gear for landing, you are back on battery power.

The little prop that runs the rat turns a hydraulic motor that runs a
small generator for AC  power. You can also use it to power the Blue
hydraulic system, if the blue pump fails.

David Weeks AWA A320 captain