Re: 777 drogue chute on tail

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         10 Feb 96 12:30:54

In article <airliners.1996.163@ohare.Chicago.COM>, wolpjame@cwis.isu.edu
(Jim Wolper) wrote:

(in answer to question about small chute-like object off tail of 777
observedin TV series about the plane.
> This was probably a "spin chute".  These are commonly used during
> flight test to aid in the recovery from an accidental spin.  Lest
> you think this is unlikely, during one early test of the 777's
> stall characteristics it rolled 110 degrees (ie, past vertical)
> prior to recovery.  This was fixed by a software adjustment to the
> aileron control laws.

The roll problem and correction description is correct. The spin chute is
not.  The small trailing cone the original poster observed is a stabilizer
for the long trailing wire static source we reel out of the plane to get
static pressure readings free of any air turbulence near the plane
itself.  It is used on all Boeing planes that are in Flight Test.  The
cone does the same thing that the cone on a Navy's refueling hose does-
keeps the cable from whipping about.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane