Re: RAT

From:         "Mike Pisenti" <mike-kerry.pisenti@worldnet.att.net>
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:06

Tregear <ltregear@camtech.net.au> wrote in article
<airliners.1996.1949@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I've heard the A320 has a Ram Air Turbine, that automatically ejects
> into the airstream upon engine failure.
>
> My question is where is this Ram Air Turbine positioned and how big and
> how much power does it provide?

According to the A320 Systems Briefing for Pilots, an emergency generator
is hydraulically driven by the Ram Air Turbine, nominal power 5 kVA. It
also will provide hydraulic pressure to one of the three hydraulic systems.
Don't know how big the unit is, never seen one. If I recall correctly, it
is positioned slightly to the right of centerline aft of the main gear,
with the door outlined with red dashed lines about 3 ft by 6 ft.

Mike Pisenti
Dispatcher