Back on the Named Engines thread...

From:         "J. Heilig" <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         08 Oct 96 13:00:05
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

Looking through some reference material on the Avro Vulcan bomber
recently, I stumbled across something that I already knew, but didn't
think about during the recent "engine names" thread.

Perhaps someone at Rolls-Royce can tell us why RR only named one engine
after a mountain?  As far as I'm aware, the Olympus was the only engine
RR named thus.  Otherwise we'd have the Rolls-Royce Everest, K-2 (?),
Erebus (not a bad name...), Kilimanjaro, Fuji (maybe not), etc.  Perhaps
it's because England doesn't have any memorable mountain names?

Just curious...

Jennings Heilig