From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         01 Oct 96 23:56:42

drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) wrote:

> C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:

> >The 777 has one of the most advanced wings around, and Boeing has already
> >stated that the 747 derivatives, if they are built, will use a similar
> >wing.  However, it would have to be larger and stronger than the wing on
> >the 777 because the new airplane itself will be larger and heavier.  But
> >the aerodynamic and manufacturing advances that are incorporated in the
> >777's wing would be used for the 747 derivative wing.  In that much of the
> >airfoil and control surface research and development has already been done
> >for the 777, you are correct in stating that the expertise gained from the
> >777 program will help hold the costs down on a 747 derivative.
>
> The airfoil technology is a good starting place, but airfoil development
> rarely stands still.  The CFD techniques alluded to above are being used
> by Boeing, and every other jet transport manufacturer, to hold down costs.
> However, the controls requirements and layout would differ significantly
> between the 777 and any 4-engined airplane, rendering much of the 777 data
> irrelevant.  Suffice to say that the wing is the heart of the airplane's
> performance, and each wing design is lovingly tweaked right up to drawing
> release, and beyond in some cases.

I have no dispute with your statement.  All I can do is paraphrase what
I've heard the design engineers in Everett say about the new 747s
(assuming they are built), and that is that it will have a "777-type"
wing.  What that means is open to speculation, of course, but the basic
airfoil and aerodynamic characteristics are supposed to be very similar.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane