From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         01 Oct 96 23:56:41

>>Given the relatively poor results of the A340 wing design (reduced
>>LRC, flutter, etc) I don't think anyone would really want to
>>reproduce that particular wing on a larger aircraft.
>>There are huge differences between twin and four engine aircraft
>>wings, generated primarily by flutter response.
>
>Is this the root of the deficiencies in the A340's wing design you
>claim, since the A340 wing is a compromise between a twin and four-
>engine design?  (The twin-engined A330 uses the same wing.)

Sort of. (Don't you just love definitive answers?)
Mostly I attribute Airbus' problems with the A340 wing to their lack of
experience designing and building heavy four-engined transports.  It isn't
easy, and there are a lot of non-obvious traps.  Boeing has a tremendous
amount of experience designing four engine heavy jet transports, and it
shows.  If it didn't, we'd all have a lot more to worry about.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com