From:         falke@pweh.com ( 0 Falke_Charlie phone dist )
Date:         01 Oct 96 23:56:41

   Actually, I think the 737 meets or exceeds all the current regulatory
   requirements.  There was a lot of early scuffling over exactly what would
   bring added safety, but with a few zillion hours of inservice experience,
   the 737 folks can show what failures they are subject to and what they
   aren't, so they could point out that in a couple of cases, what the FAA
   asked for would not actually increase safety because there had never been a
   failure in that area (jammed flight controls on one side jumps to mind).
   Given the fact that there are more 737s flying than any other type of heavy
   jet transport in the world, and the fact that it is a short-haul airplane
   flown by every concievable kind of airline in every part of the world,
   if it hasn't happened to them by now, it probably isn't going to happen.

Terry,
   A difference that comes to mind is that the old 737's at least, only
had to allow 1 second for reaction time for an aborted takeoff as a
derivative, wheras the A320 as a new airplane had to allow two.  I had seen it
claimed in FI that the extra second one way or the other made the difference
between which airplane could carry more payload at some fields.
Do the new 737's have to allow one second or two?

--
Charlie Falke                 Pratt & Whitney